Sunday, May 11, 2008

Week One Reflection

I feel that my first week working in the ceramics room making my pots was extremely enjoyable and productive. I learned more skills relating to ceramics with mixing the clay to make the strips ready to be wedged, improving my techniques with trimming, conquering centering the clay on the wheel and smoothening out the rim of my bowls so they are not sharp. All this learning will hopefully enable my work to be much better.

Patrice has been very helpful in guiding me in my project, giving me jobs to do and giving me pointers on how to make a good bowl. I feel that my work in the ceramics room has improved and I am looking forward to seeing how I can continue to improve on my techniques. This week has been a week for me to get back into the swing of throwing again and I have been able to produce six bowls ready to be fired and later glazed.

In addition this week I have learned to use different resources other than what I see other students make. I explored the Internet and scanned through some books to look at the different styles and textures available in the world of ceramics. I plan to continue this research when I begin to make the cups and plates.

I had a fun first week and I am anxious to see what I can bring to the plate in the next two weeks of my project. I feel that I am going to have to be more patient in these upcoming weeks as the tasks are going to be much more demanding.

1 comment:

Lindsey Allenby said...

Kate! I'm so impressed with the amount of work you are accomplishing in such a short time! You have been very focused and after speaking with Patrice, it sounds like you have been working extremely hard! WAY TO GO! I can't wait to see your final products! I'm anxious to see how your bowls turned out...and am planning on stopping by in the next two days. It sounds like you are challenging yourself and pushing your limits a little bit! That's awesome! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see all you've accomplished!